70-565 - Passed

Filed under: , , by:

After 2 months I decided to take the 70-565 exam. I have been working as Enterprise .NET Developer so 2 months was plenty for me as I use UML, Unit testing, component design, etc. on daily basis, therefore there was hardly anything I needed to learn. Well, the score confirms that feeling - I scored 1000/1000. So on the exam there are 50 questions and as far as I remember I had only 105 minutes to complete it. I was very surprised as previous exam with 50 questions required even 180 minutes, but when you see the questions, they are completely different than those for example on 70-505 exam. Only few questions had some code and required remembering the syntax, the vast majority questions are very straightforward ie. what kind of UML diagram or what kind of test to choose or what kind of technology would you suggest to use in the given scenario. I definitely found this exam a lot easier than previous ones, but don't take my wrong - there are still questions that if you have never heard about or worked with certain technologies, you might have problems picking the correct answer. I would say to succeed on this exam you don't need to have a deep knowledge (with very few exceptions) but rather a broad knowledge of developing enterprise applications using .NET. But nothing beyond the exam syllabus, so the learning is very simple: to go through the exam topics and google every topic and read, unless you feel comfortable about the topic. I can also confirm what Muhammed Ali wrote here - you definitely need to know UML diagrams, different types of tests and how to perform those tests, and distributed applications - WCF, Remoting, Web services, MSMQ, Enterprise Services. But the exam syllabus is broader, so I would add - OOP with C#, Microsoft Application Architecture Guide, event-logging and monitoring strategy. As far as books, I think there's no single book that would prepare to this exam. Good book for WCF is essential, but this shouldn't be a problem as you've passed the WCF exam. Otherwise, good book for C#, .NET, Microsoft Application Architecture Guide and MSDN... or experience. Sometimes it is hard to do all aspects of the exam at work and sometimes the code review you do in your company can be done completely differently in other companies, therefore I would encourage to google each topic and find out how other people do logging, monitoring, testing, etc. That should definitely help you pass the exam but also should make you aware of different ways of performing those tasks and hence improve your skills as enterprise application developer.

0 comments: